Sunday, March 2, 2008

Benjammin' #3




Benjammin #3 after the jump.


The Black Keys
"Same Old Thing"
"Oceans And Streams"
"Things Ain't Like They Used To Be"
Album: Attack & Release
release date: April 1st, 2008

This was the album I couldn't get enough of this weekend. I had heard a lot about The Black Keys over the years, but never gave them a proper chance. So, when their new album leaked on Monday I was ecstatic to hear it. I heard one of their albums Rubber Factory before listening to Attack & Release, and I really dug it. Attack & Release is a shift from that sound a bit, but it's the best album of theirs that I have heard. It was produced by Danger Mouse, who produced my #3 favorite album of 2007 in The Good, The Bad & The Queen, and he does an equally good job here giving the group some new things to do. These three songs are among my favorites of an album that doesn't have a single weak spot. I suggest if you like these songs to check out the full album. You'll really like it. Check out the Yazz flute on "Same Old Thing". It's hardcore.

Sondre Lerche
"My Hands Are Shaking"
"Modern Nature" with Lillian Samdal
album: Dan In Real Life soundtrack (Modern Nature originally found on 2001's Faces Down)
release date: October 2nd, 2007

I just saw the movie Dan In Real Life, the Steve Carell, Juliette Binoche rom-com, this week, and I really enjoyed it. Carell does some great acting in it, and it's just a nice story to watch unfold. Very realistic. The other thing I really enjoyed about it is the soundtrack provided by Sondre Lerche. He pretty much handles every song in the movie, either with instrumental interludes or songs written especially for the movie. He also has some songs from previous albums in the film like "Modern Nature" which closes the film with a performance in the movie by Sondre and Lillian Samdal. These are great, well-written songs that get stuck in your head.

Billy Bragg & Wilco
"Walt Whitman's Niece"
"Hoodoo Vooodoo"
album: Mermaid Avenue
release date: June 23rd, 1998

Now this is a classic album. One of my all-time favorite bands in Wilco collaborating with probably one of the coolest people around in Billy Bragg with previously unreleased lyrics by Woody Guthrie. Both Wilco and Bragg got together to give these great Guthrie lyrics justice, and they deliver hugely. I just really love the whole album, and these two songs are among my favorites. "Hoodoo Voodoo" should of been the theme song to some kids show. Please do check out the entire albums. It's one of my all-time favs.

Also on a completely unrelated note, the name Walt Whitman is the name of Bryan Cranston's character on one of the best shows currently on TV in AMC's Breaking Bad. I know that is obviously where they didn't get the name from, because the album's been out for 10 years but yeah. Just thought I should point that out/pimp the show.

EDIT: well, I fucked up there. I just mixed two AMC series' into a name. Walter White is Bryan Cranston's character on Breaking Bad, while Dick Whitman is the real name of Don Draper on Mad Men. Two of the best series' on TV. Just wanted to clear that up.

No comments: